This ketchup does come close to those name brands in terms of taste, texture and color.
- 800g peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup water, divided
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 whole clove
- Pour ground tomatoes into slow cooker with 1/2 cup water Add sugar, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, celery salt, mustard powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and whole clove; whisk to combine.
- Cook on high, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half and very thick, 10 to 12 hours. Stir every hour or so.
- Smooth the texture of the ketchup using an immersion blender, about 20 seconds.
- Ladle the ketchup into a fine strainer and press mixture with the back of a ladle to strain out any skins and seeds.
- Transfer the strained ketchup to a bowl. Cool completely before tasting to adjust salt, black pepper, or cayenne pepper.