This tomato jam is like a grown up version of tomato ketchup, perfect with some cheese and biscuits.
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 800g ripe tomatoes, quartered.
- 3 large mild red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 star anise
- 250ml/9fl oz white wine vinegar
- 300g/10½oz soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce (substitute soy sauce for vegetarians)
- Sterilise the jars. Wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Place the jars upside down on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the red onion and chopped tomatoes in a large heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the chillies, ginger, star anise, vinegar and sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid.
- Add the fish sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes, then spoon into sterilised jars.